nanog mailing list archives

Re: Industry practice for BGP costs - one time or fixed/monthly?

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 12:34:22 +1000

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 09:39:16PM -0400, Luke S. Crawford wrote:
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 10:06:03AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
We pay what our providers think they can get away with.  Like most pricing
decisions, they're not based on any "technical logic", they're based on what
the market will bear.  Feel free to turn the process around -- decide what
the service is worth to you, tell the provider of the service that price,
and let them decide if they want to provide it to you at that price.  Don't
be too surprised if you get monkeys in exchange for your peanuts, though.

Are you suggesting that you get worse service after you negotiate a better
deal with a particular provider?

To a certain extent, yes.  It has been my experience (from both the service
provider and the customer point-of-view) that customers who aren't worth as
much to a supplier don't get as much "love", because the cost of losing
their business to a competitor is much less (or, in some cases, would be a
net win).

However, my main point was that if you are mainly concerned about price,
rather than quality of service (or, more precisely, the value-for-money
ratio between the two), you are likely to end up with a substandard service.
I will concede, however, that I didn't make that point particularly clear,
for which I apologise.

- Matt

--
Advocating Object-Oriented Programming is like advocating Pants-Oriented
Clothing.