nanog mailing list archives

Re: 25Mbps vs 4 Mbps

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:12:57 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Glen Kent wrote:

The question then is that how does going for a higher BW connection from the service provider help?

That is like asking if a 600 bhp car is 6 times better than a 100 bhp car.

I'd say you definitely can benefit in surfing speed etc up to somewhere 5-15 megabit/s, after that it's hard to discern any difference in interactivity. For youtube alone I doubt you'll notice that much difference.unless you're watching 720p/1080p material, where you will notice that 4 megabit/s probably isn't enough.

I've seen netflix 1080p stream use over 10 megabit/s in 30 second interval, so sometimes it's good to have more :P

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se