nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:47:06 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, david peahi wrote:

On the practical side: Have all programmers created a 128 bit field to store the IPv6 address, where IPv4 programs use a 32 bit field to store the IP address? This would seem to be similar to the year 2000 case where almost all programs required auditing to see if they took into account dates after 1999.

The new APIs have been around since about that time ~2000.

<http://www.kutukupret.com/2009/09/28/gethostbyname-vs-getaddrinfo/>
<http://udrepper.livejournal.com/16116.html>

... but a few. I am sure there is a lot of new and old code using the old APIs. I wish there would be a WARN or equivalent in the APIs to tell the devs that they're using a old (should be deprecated :P) API call.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se