nanog mailing list archives

Re: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:44:38 -1000

Joakim Aronius wrote:
Lets assume that some child pr0n dealer used this Tor exit node, is it not reasonable if the police wants to see if there are logs that make it possible to catch the sleazebag? Should LE ignore crime if it originates from a network which operates a Tor
exit node?

I am all for being anonymous on the net but I seriously believe that we still need to enforce the law when it comes to serious felonies like child pr0n, organized crime etc, we can't give them a free pass just by using Tor. I dont think it should be
illegal to operate a Tor exit node but what just happened could be a consequence of doing it.

Of course they might not know abot Tor and believes that it is Mr Williams that is the bad guy.

/J

Wouldn't Austrian LEA need possession/knowledge of this pr0n site in order to determine the exit node that was using it?