nanog mailing list archives

Re: ESR muses on, among other things, the early IETF

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 02:20:45 +0000

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 06:12:08PM -0400, Frank Kastenholz wrote:

On Oct 6, 2012, at 6:39 AM, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 10:14:41AM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
On 06/10/2012 03:20, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Those who know Fred and knew Jon personally might want to throw an oar in the
water on this blog posting from last month..

   I -think- Jon and Fred were not contemporaries.  Fred is
   closer to my age than Jon.

While I don't know how old either is/would be, Fred was active in the IETF before
I joined the IESG, I appointed him chair of the pppwg in 95 or 96 or so
(I think?) and he became IETF chair in 96 or so --- the last year I was on the IESG.
And was at the nerds on the beach IETF in Hawaii in89 or 90 iirc
--Jon. Passed away in 98.

They certainly overlapped in their i* lives

Frank Kastenholz

        going back another decade,  Fred and I both worked on/with bridging technologies,
        before routing was popular.  Jon had us beat by at least a decade - early 1970s.
        We cme to the party in the late 70's early 80s.

/bill