nanog mailing list archives

Re: Typical additional latency for CGN?

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 15:18:56 -0700

On Oct 7, 2012 1:48 PM, "Tom Limoncelli" <tal () whatexit org> wrote:

Have there been studies on how much latency CGN adds to a typical
internet user?   I'd also be interested in anecdotes.

Anecdote. Sub-millasecond, with full load. (gigs and gigs) . CGN does not
meaningfully add latency. CGN is not enough of a factor to impact happy
eyeballs in a way that improves ipv6 use.

I've seen theoretical predictions but by now we should have
measurements from early-world deployments.

Most mobile providers have been doing what is commonly called cgn for 5 to
10 years. CGN is not a new concept or implementation for mobile.

CB

Thanks,
Tom

--