nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is a /48 still the smallest thing you can route independently?

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:09:59 -0700

--- rcarpen () network1 net wrote:
From: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net>
--- jrhett () netconsonance com wrote:
From: Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com>

I've finally convinced $DAYJOB to deploy IPv6.  Justification for the
IP space is easy, however the truth is that a /64 is more than we
need in all locations. However the last I heard was that you can't
effectively announce anything smaller than a /48.  Is this still
true?

Is this likely to change in the immediate future, or do I need to ask
for a /44?

A /48 is 65536 /64s and a /44 is 16x65536 /64s.  If you
only need one subnet (1 subnet = 1 /64), why would you
try to get 16x65536 subnets, rather than the 65536 you
have in the /48?

He said it was for multiple sites.

DOH!
Note to self: focus on the outage and don't respond to NANOG
while troubleshooting.  ;-)

scott