nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is a /48 still the smallest thing you can route independently?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:11:09 -0700

On 2012-10-11 23:02 , Jo Rhett wrote:
I've finally convinced $DAYJOB to deploy IPv6.  Justification for the
IP space is easy, however the truth is that a /64 is more than we
need in all locations. However the last I heard was that you can't
effectively announce anything smaller than a /48.  Is this still
true?

Is this likely to change in the immediate future, or do I need to ask
for a /44?

A /64 is for a single link (broadcast domain, though with IPv6 multicast
domain is more appropriate).

A /48 (or /56 for end-users for some of the RIRs) is for a single
end-site ("a different administrative domain and/or a different physical
location").

If you thus have 5 end-sites, you should have room for 5 /48s and thus a
/47 is what you can justify.

Couple of errors there, Jeroen…

1. 5 /48s is at least a /45, not a /47 which is only 2 /48s.

2. Joe lives in the ARIN region where allocations and assignments are
        done on nibble boundaries, so his /45 would be rounded up to
        a /44 (as would a /47) anyway.

Owen