nanog mailing list archives

Re: the economies of scale of a Worldcon, and how to make this topic relevant to Nanog

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:00:59 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jo Rhett" <jrhett () netconsonance com>

Those of us who feel Internet access is mission critical carry LTE
network devices or make other arrangements. Obviously the growth of
smartphones and tablets is starting to change that equation, but at
the moment none of the Worldcons have done a very good job of
providing useful online interaction so there's no actual use for
onsite data related to the conference itself. Obviously I would love
to see this change.

And this is pretty much precisely why I'm hammering the nail; there's
*lots* of stuff that could -- and properly should -- be technology
assisted at the world's largest gathering of science fiction enthusiasts.

Now, if we want to make this topic relevant to Nanog, the operative
question is the feasability of a data provider putting good wireless
gear near these facilities and selling data access to attendees. For a
useful comparison, the 2010 Worldcon in Melbourne had an expensive
wifi service in the building that kept falling over. A cell provider
across the street put up banners advertising cheap data service, and
put people on the sidewalk in from of the convention selling pay as
you go SIM cards with data service. They made brisk business. *THIS*
is where us network operators can provide good networking service to a
large facility, and pretty much kill the expensive data plans operated
by the facility.

Assuming you can get close enough -- which won't be geographically
practical for ... oh, wait; you're envisioning 3G, not WLAN.  Yeah,
I suppose that might work... until you consider that I will, personally,
be bringing both laptops, my tablet, and my phone, all of which want
to talk to the outside world.  I would bet that I'm not all *that*
unusual in that, at a Worldcon, based on some attendee conversations
I've had at Anticipation and the much less well attended NASfic 10,
ReConstruction.

A lot of this, too, depends on what the concom negotiated with the
property about wifi access already.

Instead of building up and tearing down a network for each convention,
put an LTE tower near the facility and sell to every group that uses
the convention center.

Can I get 12000 sessions on a single LTE tower?

That's my benchmark for the moment, in the absence of real numbers.  :-)

Alas, this property has already just rebuilt it's wifi, I'm told. Course,
the con is in 2015, so they may rebuild *again* by then.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com