nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 tester?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:09:20 -0400

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 09:34:31 -0400, Alain Hebert said:

    I'm sad to confirm that my spoof test was successful with a:

        . SageMCom modem+router, which is used by a big TelCo around my
part, for both their residential and commercial ADSL2+, VDSL customers.

You might want to check more carefully exactly what the failure mode
was.  I'm willing to bet that the router has been configured to assign
addresses inside a specific RFC 1918 /24, and will do Something Terrible
to spoofed packets in that range, but will figure you know what you're
doing and pass them if you source a packet from outside that /24.