nanog mailing list archives

Re: route for linx.net in Level3?

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 06:14:01 -0700

In a message written on Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:32:52AM +0200, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
I thought people where doing it because IGP converged faster than iBGP and
in case of an external link failure the ingress PE was informed via IGP that
it has to find an alternate next-hop.
Though now with the advent of BGP PIC this is not an argument anymore.

You're talking about stuff that's all 7-10 years after the decisions
were made that I described in my previous e-mail.  Tag switching
(now MPLS) had not yet been invented/deployed when the first
"next-hop-self" wave occured it was all about scaling both the IGP
and BGP.

In some MPLS topologies it may speed re-routing to have edge interfaces
in the IGP due to the faster convergence of IGP's.  YMMV, Batteries not
Included, Some Assembly Required.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440