nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Resolver Dataset Update

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 17:55:52 +1000

In message <51626CF9.1040109 () phyxia net>, Tom Laermans writes:
On 7/04/2013 19:46, Jared Mauch wrote:
I've continued to update my dataset originally posted about two weeks ago.  Please take a moment
 and review your CIDRs which may be running an open resolver.

I've exposed one additional bit in the user-interface that may be helpful.  Some DNS servers wil
l respond with RCODE=0 (OK) but not provide recursion.  nearly 90% of the servers in the database
provide recursion.
What is the rationale behind listing servers not providing recursion on
a list of open resolvers?

As far as I know, responding either NOERROR or REFUSED produces packets
of the same size.

Tom

NOERROR can be a referral.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org