nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vancouver IXP - VanTX - BCNet

From: Clayton Zekelman <clayton () MNSi Net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:34:29 -0400

At 01:15 PM 21/08/2013, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
Facility neutrality especially. If the IXP is inside a non-neutral DC, it and its peers are always under constant threat of being squeezed out or shutdown by any number of circumstances. If the co-lo business were separate from the facility business, it may be a better environment since the IXP could convince the facility to host it, which the co-lo business could then be attracted to. All depends on the circumstances and environment.

We run our colo facility as a separate business entity than our facilities/ISP business. Our customers actually get two invoices if they buy services and colocate. When we opened the colo, we invited any facilities based carrier in the region to place fibre. My rule was they could have rack space for a patch panel in the MMR for free for cables coming in from outside. If they needed space and power, then they would have to pay for that. They could use the entrance conduits from the first manhole outside the building for free, but they'd have to get there themselves. Colo customers pay a standard fee for fibre pairs to the MMR patch panel, agnostic of which carrier they are connecting to - including our own services. We have some customers that don't buy services from us - just space and power. Just depends on their needs.

There are 3 fibre providers in the building now. It seems to work out. Now if there was a legitimate community of interest for establishing an IXP here, we could do it, but alas, as has been pointed out, the case for TorIX is so compelling, and so much needs to flow through Toronto regardless, it seems the natural place to interconnect.

---

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)
3363 Tecumseh Rd. E