nanog mailing list archives

Time to stopy saying there is no IPv6 traffice: was Re: ddos attacks

From: "cb.list6" <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:27:56 -0800

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

 On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:12:28 -0800, "cb.list6" said:

 I am strongly considering having my upstreams to simply rate limit ipv4
UDP. It is the simplest solution that is proactive.

What are the prospects for ipv6 UDP not suffering the same fate?

Roughly 0%, but there's so little v6 traffic compared to v4, you probably
don't have to worry about v6 attack traffic yet...particularly if you're
not dual stack yet.  :)

I understand that your answer about nil IPv6 traffic may be appropriate for
your network, but for many of us IPv6 is currently a non-trivial amount of
traffic that is growing quickly.  And, in some cases, IPv6 is the dominate
amount of traffic.  Here are some quick stats of a few select familiar
names from http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/

Google Fiber 70%
Virginia Tech 61%
Verizon Wireless 40%