nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5.7 *report

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 23:21:08 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Schwartz" <mschw () athenet net>

That urks me, too. In many web sites that have a state field, you can
at least type the first letter of your state, but you still have to use the
mouse, unless your state is the first one that starts with any given
letter.
When I type "W", "WA" pops up, so I still have to use the mouse to
select "WI". If I try to type "W" then "I", the popup box jumps to "IA".

For example, jump to the state field on this website:

https://www.tigerdirect.com/secure/subscribe2.asp?cm_sp=Masthead-_-NewCustom
er-_-NA

"W" takes me to "Washington", but if I then type "I" it takes me down
to "International". I can avoid using my mouse if I type "W" and then
down arrow twice, to get past West Virginia.

The widget is "pulldown menu with incremental search", and the question
is "did they allow multiple character search input" and, as a sub query
"how long after you hit a character does the hidden input field reset if
you don't hit enter".

Seems to me that Jeff Harrison coded a decent incremental search wrapped
around a browse lookup at one point ... or maybe it was Ron Klimasewski,
one of Microsys's other coders in the 90s.  It's been a long time...

It's odd, when I have to do maintenance work on tables all three of us
had our fingers in, I can tell which of the three of us worked on a given
routine; we each had a different view of 1TBS.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Make Election Day a federal holiday: http://wh.gov/lBm94  100k sigs by 12/14

Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com