nanog mailing list archives

Re: What's going on with NTP?

From: David Ford <david () blue-labs org>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:37:36 -0500

On 12/25/2013 11:35 AM, John Levine wrote:
I have two FreeBSD servers where the NTP daemons are using double digit CPU
percentages today rather than the usual 0.01%.  Restarting them didn't help.

The clock on my Android phone is five hours slow.  (It's not the time zone,
I checked that.)

Is this just my special Christmas present, or are there screwed up NTP servers?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl () iecc com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

you probably need to configure them correctly with:

restrict default ignore

and add additional restrict lines if you have need for other legitimate
servers to make contact with them. i suspect right now you're providing
an ntp amplification attack to the spoofed source address.

-david