nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Making of a Router

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:45:51 -0800

On 12/26/13, 11:28, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
Ahh.. so you are the one who bought those two from Ebay !
I was watching, but got to them rather late.

If you are the one who got them.. you got a great deal.

These have Mikrotik ROS license with them, you can do BGP/ OSPF etc. with them
If you want to reload them with other OS, all you got to do is pull out the FlashCard, and install anything else you
want.

The Core2 Duo Model with Mikrotik ROS ver 5 will handle about 1G to 1.5G of traffic with much trouble.
With ROS ver 6 .. they will do about 25-30% more.

The i5 & i7 versions will handle 3-5Gig of traffic easily... and these do support 10G SFP+ Intel nic's with ROS 6.x

Nope, that wasn't me. I got mine probably a year ago. I pulled the flash and tried Vyatta on it, but Vyatta turned out to be a buggy unpleasant experience. RouterOS had an IPv6 OSPF bug where it ignores some LSAs that made it a showstopper.

~Seth