nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSA able to compromise Cisco, Juniper, Huawei switches

From: "[AP] NANOG" <nanog () armoredpackets com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:41:05 -0500

Roland,

I did fail to mention the HUMINT (Human Intelligence) side of things,
thank you for bringing that up!

--

Thank you,

Robert Miller
http://www.armoredpackets.com

Twitter: @arch3angel

On 12/30/13, 11:33 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
On Dec 31, 2013, at 11:06 AM, [AP] NANOG <nanog () armoredpackets com> wrote:

Then looking at things from the evil side though, if they owned the system which provides the signing then they
could sign
virtually anything they wish.
Or if they owned *people* with the right level of access to do so, or if there were implementation bugs which could
be utilized to bypass or obviate the signing . . .

None of the alleged capabilities described in the purported documents is really standalone; they all rely upon other
methods/mechanisms in order to provide the required foundation to accomplish their stated goals.

I think we need to watch and listen/read over the coming weeks and months before we go assuming we have it figured
out.
This is the most pertinent and insightful comment made in this thread.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

        Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                     -- John Milton