nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSA able to compromise Cisco, Juniper, Huawei switches

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:44:15 +0000

On Jan 1, 2014, at 2:34 AM, Jonathan Greenwood II <gwood83 () gmail com> wrote:

The best response I've seen to all this hype and I completely agree with
Scott:

"Do ya think that you wouldn't also notice a drastic increase in outbound traffic to begin with?  It's fun to watch
all the hype and things like
that, but to truly sit down and think about what it would actually take to make something like this happen,
especially on a sustained and
"unnoticed" basis, is just asinine.

Hopefully, this drives home the importance of all the various BCPs like iACLs, isolated jump-off boxes for interactive
access, config-file management, and network telemetry - including visibility into DCN/OOB traffic.

There are open-source tools out there which can be used for these purposes.  It doesn't require a lot of capex, mainly
opex - i.e., elbow-grease.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton