nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10 Mbit/s problem in your network

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:50:28 -0800

On 2/27/13 6:26 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:
The reason is Hilton outsources it to AT&T. They don't build the networks for performance in my experience. I have started
to avoid some hotels that moved from level3 to AT&T for their Internet providers as they are very slow at peak times.

Sad as we all know the main cost for 1g to a site is in the optics (well actually the fiber build... But after that, it
costs almost nothing to light it at 1g). A pair of 20km optics is about $250.
These manangement companies have been minimizing their cap/opex from fall 2007 through the end of 2011. They're still not spending on stuff unless it reduces their cost.
Not sure why they deliver such poor service on their wifi products. When talking to their support they always cite
extraordinary usage.

Jared Mauch