nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is Google Fiber a model for Municipal Networks?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 12:59:04 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell () ufp org>

Remember that Google cherry-picked which city it would serve, so it was able
to identify location that is likely less challenging and expensive to serve
than the average. A lot of Google's Kansas City build will not be buried

True, but I think it means we've bound the problem. It appears to
take $1400-$4500 to deploy fiber to the home in urban and suburban
areas, depending on all the fun local factors that effect costs.

And look what appeared in my mailbox just now:

http://broadcastengineering.com/ip-network/google-s-high-speed-fiber-installation-provides-economic-growth-kc

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com