nanog mailing list archives

Re: Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

From: Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 10:15:46 -0500

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Robert E. Seastrom <rs () seastrom com> wrote:

Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com> writes:

In that case its even harder.  Before you even consider doing open
access talk to your FTTx vendor and find out how many they have done
using the same architecture you're planning on deploying.  Open access
in an active Ethernet install is actually fairly straight forward but
on a PON system its harder than a DOCSIS network.

Categorically untrue.  It is all a matter of where the splitters are
placed.

You're confounding the layers of the network or perhaps I was being unclear
that I was talking about Layer 2 handoffs.

A home run fiber plant architecture with an enormous patch frame and
splitters provided by the open access provider if PON is their
technoogy of choice is indistinguishable from an active ethernet
install from an open access perspective.

Again, I was speaking about Layer 2 open access.

-r

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology