nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 20:43:00 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Jason Baugher wrote:

On the CO-side electronics, however... I think it's safe to say that you can do GPON under $100/port. AE is probably going to run close to $300/port. That's a pretty big cost difference, and if it were me I'd be looking pretty hard at a PON deployment for the majority of the customers along with a certain amount of fiber left over for those who need special services.

How do you come to the $300 per AE port? When I look at it, I get around USD100-150 per AE port including SFP.

Also, I expect the customer end to be cheaper for AE than for PON, right?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se