nanog mailing list archives

Re: The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

From: Stephen Sprunk <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:11:29 -0600

On 11-Feb-13 12:25, Mark Radabaugh wrote:
On 2/11/13 9:32 AM, ML wrote:
Any eyeball network that wants to support multicast should peer with
the content players(s) that support it. Simple!

Just another reason to make the transit only networks even more
irrelevant.

The big issue is that the customers don't want to watch simulcast
content.  The odds of having two customers in a reasonably sized
multicast domain watching the same netflix movie at exactly the same
time frame in the movie is slim.  Customers want to watch on time
frames of their own choosing.   I don't see multicast helping at all
in dealing with the situation.

Multicast _is_ useful for filling the millions of DVRs out there with
broadcast programs and for live events (eg. sports).  A smart VOD system
would have my DVR download the entire program from a local cache--and
then play it locally as with anything else I watch.  Those caches could
be populated by multicast as well, at least for popular content.  The
long tail would still require some level of unicast distribution, but
that is _by definition_ a tiny fraction of total demand.