nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP RIB Collection

From: Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン) <rol () witbe net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:53:57 +0100

Hello,

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:24:00 -0500
chip <chip.gwyn () gmail com> wrote:

  I have an application that needs to gather BGP RIB data from the routers
that connect to all of our upstream providers.  Basically I need to know
all the routes available from a particular provider.  Currently I'm
gathering this data via SNMP.  While this works it has its draw backs, it
takes approximately 20 minutes per view, its nowhere near real-time, and
I'm unable to gather information for IPv6.  SNMP, however, is faster than
screen scraping.  All of the XML based access methods seem to take about
the same time as well.

To do that, I've set up a peering session between a router and a Linux
running exabgp connected to a script in which I can do any kind of
processing I want on BGP updates that are forwarded from the router to
exabgp to the script.

Best,
Paul

--
TelcoTV Awards 2011 - Witbe winner in "Innovation in Test & Measurement"

Paul Rolland                                E-Mail : rol(at)witbe.net
CTO - Witbe.net SA                          Tel. +33 (0)1 47 67 77 77
Les Collines de l'Arche                     Fax. +33 (0)1 47 67 77 99
F-92057 Paris La Defense                    RIPE : PR12-RIPE

LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulrolland
Skype    : rollandpaul

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10
or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you
when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation