nanog mailing list archives

Re: Gmail and SSL

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 19:29:05 -0500

On Jan 2, 2013, at 7:15 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

Do you run Cert Patrol (a Firefox extension) in your browser?

yes, but my main browser is chrome (ff does poorly with nine windows and
60+ tabs).  there is some sort of pinning, or at least discussion of it.
but it is not clear what is actually provided.  and i don't see evidence
of churn reporting.

Google uses certificate pinning for a very, very few sites.  From
http://blog.chromium.org/2011/06/new-chromium-security-features-june.html :

        In addition in Chromium 13, only a very small subset of CAs have the
        authority to vouch for Gmail (and the Google Accounts login page).

You can turn it on for other sites but:

        Advanced users can enable stronger security for some web sites by
        visiting the network internals page: chrome://net-internals/#hsts

        You can now force HTTPS for any domain you want, and even “pin” that
        domain so that only a more trusted subset of CAs are permitted to
        identify that domain.

        _It’s an exciting feature but we’d like to warn that it’s easy to break
        things! We recommend that only experts experiment with net internals
        settings._

Emphasis theirs.

The only Chrome browser I have lying around right now is on a Nexus 7 tablet;
I don't see any way to list the pinned certs from the browser.  There is a
list at http://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3, and while I
don't know how current it is you'll notice a decided dearth of interesting
sites with the exceptions of paypal.com and lastpass.com.