nanog mailing list archives

Re: Gmail and SSL

From: "Gary E. Miller" <gem () rellim com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 16:59:05 -0800

Yo William!

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 19:42:16 -0500
William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM, George Herbert
<george.herbert () gmail com> wrote:
If push came to shove and minor legalities were not restraining me,
I recall (without checking) your domain's emails come to your home,
and your DSL or cable line is sniffable, so any of the CA who email
URL validators out could be trivially temporarily spoofed (until
you read your email and responded) by tapping your data lines.  BGP
games to snarf your traffic are another venue, possibly not yet
even covered by wiretap laws that I know of, though I'm not
currently an ISP in a position to personally do that to you.

And none of this describes an extraordinary effort? The quote you're
trying to refute was, "suffer such attacks only with extraordinary
difficulty on the part of the attacker."

I would say it is pretty easy, and I have caught people doing it many
times.  All a hacker needs to do is get a sniffer near your email
traffic.  Then they can grab any challange emails sent to any of you
domain contacts.  Pretty trvial to do in a coffee shop environment.

RGDS
GARY
        gem () rellim com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588