nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:23:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, David Barak wrote:

On Jan 30, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:
The update you sent is lovely, except I can tell you that the one (also an Arris, running DOCSIS 3.0) which was installed in late October in my house in Washington simply does not run v6 with the pre-installed load. Now, is there some firmware upgrade which could fix this? Maybe, but it sure would be nice if the folks who answer the phone in support could direct me to someone who has heard of this technology. So no, as I said before, Comcast has *not* removed the v6 barrier here. I'd like it to "just work", please.

That was the case with the router that was provided with my FiOS service over the summer. It looks like it wasn't even a firmware issue, or a Verizon-specific formware load, unless Verizon turned on the 'enable IPv6' bit at some point. When I first got it, there was no IPv6 configuration on the router at all, nor was there an option to turn it on. When I checked a few weeks later, there was an IPv6 configuration section, but the router had not been rebooted during that time, and it is still running the same firmware as before - when no v6 config section showed up.

jms