nanog mailing list archives

Re: Friday Hosing

From: Alain Hebert <ahebert () pubnix net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:00:25 -0400

On 07/12/13 13:54, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Jul 12, 2013, at 13:44 , Bryan Fields <Bryan () bryanfields net> wrote:
On 7/12/13 1:39 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
Put another way, whether it was stupid or evil, the results are the same. Turning off a customer in good standing
is actionable in court, and should be avoided by legitimate businesses at nearly all costs.
You can void a contract at any time so long as you're willing to accept the
result.
Hence the "actionable in court" phrase.

I've seen people have their service cut off and a carrier keep their
equipment.  Sure they will get it back, but is it worth spending 100k fighting
them in court for three years?
Every business makes tough decisions. For instance, judging the risk/reward ratio of getting, for instance, loss of
use fees, legal fees, etc., out of an opponent in a court case.

Either way, I'm interested in hearing when a company does these bad things so I can add that into the decision when
considering that company. (To be clear, one person saying "they cut me off without warning" does not automatically
mean I would never do business with a company. There's always another side. But I still like to collect the info when
possible.)

In this case, the OP didn't mention which company it was, other than "monopole".

Well "monopole" (or in good english "monopoly") ... I left their name
out on purpose.  There is no point into shaming them.

I was more interested how prevalent it was in other markets.

As this being in Canada...  They can easily bury any legal action in
suits for centuries =D

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert () pubnix net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443