nanog mailing list archives

Re: How ISP's in ARIN region create automatic prefix-filters?

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:47:51 +0200

On 2013-06-12, at 13:38, Martin T <m4rtntns () gmail com> wrote:

as I understand, ARIN whois database does not contain "route" objects,
which are used for example in RIPE region for automatic BGP prefix
filter generation.

whois.arin.net:43 is for assignment/allocation information. Does not use RPSL.

rr.arin.net:43 is a routing registry that uses RPSL.

How does this work in ARIN region? I know that at
least some ISP's operating in ARIN region use their own whois
databases(for example rr.level3.net) which mirror content from other
RIR databases, but are there other methods how they update their
internal databases with records?

My general advice for anybody who cares to listen is to use the RIPE db for your objects if you are based in the ARIN
region. It saves time if/when you come to peer with an organisation based in the RIPE region, and it makes your objects
easy to find for anybody who wants to look for them.

You can install a route in the RIPE db corresponding to number resources assigned elsewhere by authenticating against
the RIPE-NCC-RPSL-MNT maintainer object, for which the plain-text password is "RPSL". Since your new route object will
specify mnt-by MAINT-YOURS you will also need to authenticate against that (my favourite method is PGP).

Joe

mntner:         RIPE-NCC-RPSL-MNT
descr:          This maintainer may be used to create objects to represent
descr:          routing policy in the RIPE Database for number resources not
descr:          allocated or assigned from the RIPE NCC.
admin-c:        RD132-RIPE
auth:           MD5-PW # Filtered
remarks:        * The password for this object is 'RPSL', without the *
remarks:        * quotes. Do NOT use this maintainer as 'mnt-by'.     *
mnt-by:         RIPE-DBM-MNT
referral-by:    RIPE-DBM-MNT
source:         RIPE # Filtered