nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multihop eBGP peering or VPN based eBGP peering

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:27:11 +0200

Perhaps I am missing something from your advantage list, but why would
you want to exchange routing information with a network to which you
don't have a connection due to a local failure?  I think you are
attempting to abstract routing from the underlying physical
infrastructure a bit too much.  If the power is out in the carrier pop
to which you are connected, they don't have a way to give you traffic
so why would a multi-hop session help.

BGP being down is rarely something that happens on its own, it is
typically due to something far more physical (router failure, pop
outage, circuit outage, etc).

any time routing signaling comes from a source to which you can not
directly deliver payload you will be in a load of grief when something
goes wrong.  abjure route servers.  route reflectors should be in the
data plane, ...

in general, when layer N is not congruent with layer N-1 (and N+1), you
have a recipe for exciting times.  and well run ops is not supposed to
be exciting.

randy