nanog mailing list archives

Re: routing table go boom

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:16:30 -0700

With all due respect to the emperors involved, the complete "zomg, don't grow the routing table!" argument includes the seldom-stated tagline, "....faster than I want to replace my existing hardware." IOW, it's never been about the tech, or "the good of the network," it's about the capex.

I'm not saying that isn't a noble, useful goal, especially when you consider the SMBs who are going to be entering the multihoming market soon as David pointed out, and also (and perhaps more importantly) the folks in the emerging economies that are still ramping up their Internet access. But focusing on the technological problems is a waste of time since they all have technological solutions.

Doug