nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Resolver Problems

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 03:51:30 -0400

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 23:19:31 -0400, Christopher Morrow said:

Some of us have both publicly-facing authoritative DNS, and inward
facing recursive servers that may be open resolvers but can't be
found via NS entries (so the IP addresses of those aren't exactly
publicly available info).

'virginia tech dns configuration' into the webcrawler and:
https://computing.vt.edu/content/dns-addresses

Just proving my point - you didn't find the webpage that also lists
their IPv6 addresses. :)

Now explain how you find a recursive nameserver that isn't listed in an NS
entry and *hasn't* been publicized someplace that Google can find it.

also
; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> @198.82.247.34 www.google.com

That might, must *might* mind you, be somewhat tangentially related
to why I asked Jared what the BCP is for dealing with mobile devices
with hardcoded DNS lists. :)

(Otherwise read as "we'll be glad to fix it if somebody has a brilliant
idea on how to do so without generating more calls to the help desk than
the near-zero rate we currently get about DNS amplification  issues"....)