nanog mailing list archives

Re: whoami.akamai.net [was: Google Public DNS Problems?]

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 14:47:05 -0400

On May 02, 2013, at 14:42 , "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc () gmail com> wrote:
On 2 May 2013 11:12, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:

For clarity: Looking up the hostname "whoami.akamai.net" will return the IP address in the source field of the
packet (DNS query) which reached the authoritative name server for Akamai.net.

We use this to look for forwarding or proxying, which is frequently unknown / invisible to the end user.

It has the side-effect that querying against an anycast server (e.g. 208.67.222.222 or 8.8.8.8) will show the
unicast address of the anycast node which forwarded to our servers.

In case anyone is wondering, we do not do any special logging or watching of this hostname. It is logged for a short
time on the local hard drive the same as any other DNS query, but unless someone actually looks, we will not notice
if you query for it. So feel free to use it for your own purposes as much as you like. We have a bit of spare DNS
capacity. :)

No IPv6 at akamai.net, huh? :p

No, sorry. We're working on it.

Of course, v6 is available on most other Akamai products.

And if someone wants to pay us for v6 on whomai..... :)

--
TTFN,
patrick

Cns# host whoami.akamai.net
whoami.akamai.net has address 216.66.80.30
Cns# host 216.66.80.30
30.80.66.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer tserv1.fra1.he.net.
Cns#

Does anyone run a DNS whoami that's IPv6-ready?

C.