nanog mailing list archives

Re: CPE dns hijacking malware

From: Matthew Galgoci <mgalgoci () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:57:20 +0000 (UTC)

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 06:35:51 +0000
From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
To: NANOG list <nanog () nanog org>
Subject: Re: CPE  dns hijacking malware

On Nov 12, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:

(2) DHCP hijacking daemon installed on the client, supplying the hijacker's DNS servers on a DHCP renewal.  Have
seen both, the latter being more
common, and the latter will expand across the entire home subnet in time (based on your lease interval)

I'd (perhaps wrongly) assumed that this probably wasn't the case, as the OP referred to the CPE devices themselves as
being malconfigured; it would be helpful to know if the OP can supply more information, and whether or not he'd a
chance to examine the affected CPE/end-customer setups.

I have encountered a family members provider supplied CPE that had the
web server exposed on the public interface with default credentials still
in place. It's probably more common than one would expect.

--
Matthew Galgoci
Network Operations