nanog mailing list archives

Re: AlbertaIX - no longer a Cybera project?

From: "William F. Maton Sotomayor" <wmaton () ottix net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:06:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013, Theo de Raadt wrote:

Mike Leber wrote:
Facility and parties willing, hopefully there will be a YYCIX switch in
Cybera.

Interesting idea, how the heck did I miss that.

Indeed, if multiple IX pops in any given locale makes sense, then it is worth pursuing - providing there is a benefactor willing to aid in the cross connect between the pops or an economic model enabling the IXP to do it itself.

In Canada, the other collision preventing exchanges from showing up is
the CANARIE content peering model, which by providing free content
access to schools and such takes many (young bandwidth hungry)
eyeballs out of the equation for IX development and growth:

This isn't a new idea actually. It was first proposed on the CANARIE techs mailing list way back in mid-2000 I believe. In any case it is a replication of the Internet2 CDS effort. Not sure how well this has caught on, but since CANARIE are now charging user fees, it remains to be seen how far it goes.

Time for change?

There once was a proposal back in the day that CANARIE POPs should be co-located at either universities (offering a neutral venue for everyone) or at least with other IXPs....Oh, what IXPs? The idea quickly evolved to CANARIE establishing some IXPs but this was very quickly shot down (IIRC) by the then CANARIE board as it was seen to be interference by CANARIE in municipal affairs - because back then municipal dark fibre builds were all the rage. WHET those BTW?

In any case, I did persuade CANARIE to peer to at least one IXP in Canada to pick peering instead of doing a backhaul for all the peerings into the USA. My little bit of contribution to the IXP cause. However, given the science and academic population in CANARIE's network, I do know it is felt in some quarters to be of no real benefit to peer at IXPs.

wfms