nanog mailing list archives

RE: minimum IPv6 announcement size

From: "Otis L. Surratt, Jr." <otis () ocosa com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:47:24 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathanael C. Cariaga [mailto:nccariaga () stluke com ph]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:50 AM
To: NANOG Mailing List
Subject: minimum IPv6 announcement size

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could shed light on my concern.....

I've been Google-ing about if there is such a standard that sets the
minimum IPv6 advertisement on BGP.  My concern is that I am running a
network that is operating on multiple sites and currently rolling >out
our IPv6 on the perimeter level.  Having to get our /48 allocation from
our RIR, I figured out I would it would be best for us to break down the
/48 into smaller chunks (i.e /56s) and farm it out to our sites since a
single /48 will be very big for our single site.

Any advise will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

--
-nathan

Minimum announcement for IPv6 as I recall is /48. Some providers might
accept less for their networks.

-Otis