nanog mailing list archives

Re: question about AS relationship

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 17:25:33 -0500

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 03:14:59 -0500, Song Li <refresh.lsong () gmail com> wrote:
I have one simple question: as for AS relationship, should customer tell its provider the AS# of its own customers, or the provider have the right to require its customers to do that?

(Having been on both ends of this...)

If you want me to carry their traffic, yes, I need to know their address block(s) AND the ASN appearing behind yours. I will, in turn, have to provide that to my upstream provider(s).

NOBODY should be blindly accepting routing information from ANYONE, EVER. That's how people appropriate address space.

--Ricky