nanog mailing list archives

Re: Opensource tools for inventory and troubleticketing

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:22:21 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Octavio Alfageme" <palaemon () palaemon es>

 we are starting to need a better inventory of services and network
resources and better troubleticketing procedures. We can not afford acquiring
complicated and expensive tools at present time.I would be grateful if
you could recommend me opensource tools to cover these needs.

Yeah, it was about time for this thread again.

My networks are smaller than yours, but I have found that you can stretch
Bugzilla a lot farther as a ticketing system than it's software development
roots might suggest.  It handles workflow, to a degree, and is pretty easy
to learn.

If you can't, RT is pretty nice, though quite a bit more complex.  It used
to have an asset tracking snap-on, but I don't know what the status of that
is now that the main package has revved to 4.0.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com