nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38.info

From: TGLASSEY <tglassey () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:58:14 -0800

On 1/28/2014 1:07 PM, Nick Olsen wrote:
While I see what you're saying. It's still not "Spoofed".

The device in question receives the request. And then generates a response
with the src address of the egress interface of the device dst to the IP
and port that requested it... In this case. The GRE tunnel. Unless I'm
missing something here about replying to a request only on the interface
which it ingressed the device. And the fact that it's UDP. not TCP. So it's
fire-and-forget.

No in this case the system is being hit with a MITM type attack

Thus, Nothing was ever spoofed. It just simply was returned from a
different interface of the same device. From our point of view. We saw the
packet of DNS-SRC>OurCustomer. And the other ISP, Which transported the
reply. only saw Customer-SRC>DNS-DST.

Obviously, This only works because it's UDP. And TCP would be broken.

Nick Olsen
  Network Operations
(855) FLSPEED  x106