nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP multihoming

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:25:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

I had a customer ask if we could provide him with BGP such that he could be
multihomed. He already has 128 IP addresses from another ISP. Obviously a
/25 is a non go for multihoming as everyone are going to ignore his route.

Not necessarily everyone, but a lot of providers will filter that. More headaches than it's worth.

I would then need to help him with acquiring a /24 PI. Which appears to be
impossible as RIPE does no longer assign PI space and PI can not be
reassigned and thus be bought.

Is assigning a /24 from my own PA space for the purpose of BGP multihoming
considered sufficient "need"?

I haven't looked at RIPE policies in a while, but I would imagine that assigning a customer a /24 of your space because they need to multihome is considered a justifiable use.

Could he get some PI from another region, such as ARIN? How does others
handle this situation?

Most likely no, for two reasons. 1. Most RIRs don't assign IPv4 /24s to end-users except in very special cases, 2. The smallest PI block they would assign is usually something like a /21 or /22, so your customer would need to be justifiably using that much space before they could apply for a PI block, and 3, if the customer is in an area outside of $RIR's service area, they would direct them to contact the appropriate RIR.

I also hope your customer is making plans for IPv6 deployment.

jms