nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on Technica

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:25:07 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Naslund" <SNaslund () medline com>

What do you mean by average monthly bill? That is the issue here. The
average monthly bill includes the services you are getting. In the
Chicago area a fiber optic access circuit unbundled from the imcumbent
carrier to a competitive carrier is something like $10 a month or so.
How could you possibly think you can fund a build out in a new area
for that price? It may be possible to pay for that over 20 years. The
problem is that no one goes into business to break even over 20 years.

Well, Steve, happens we had this conversation in some detail last year
when I was up for a City IT director position, and contemplating fibering
12,000 passings.

The magic number is apparently $700-800 per passing, not the $2400 you
seem to suggest...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com