nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Security [Was: Re: misunderstanding scale]

From: Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:02:59 -0400

On 3/24/14 10:17 PM, "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com> wrote:

I can easily answer that one as a holder of v4 space at a commercial
entity.  The end user does not feel any compelling reason to move to ipv6
if they have enough v4 space.

I can't give my employer a solid business case of why they need to make
the IPv6 transition.

You may not need to yet.  But it would be a good idea to know how long it
would take you to deploy IPv6.
Then think about when IPv6 will be cheaper than IPv4.
(See the poll from NANOG60 for what others think about this:
http://www.wleecoyote.com/blog/lightningpoll.htm
Hint: 2017-2018)
It might be a good idea to finish in time to save money.

Oh, and if the enterprise cares about latency, IPv6 is better.  (NANOG60:
https://www.nanog.org/meetings/abstract?id=2281)

They already hold enough v4 space and are putting more and more servers
behind virtual IPs on boxes like the F5 so they are actually gaining on
the v4 space issue.  They see no economic reason to add an additional
layer of complexity to their network where it is already pretty expensive
to find savvy staff.  Having to find v6 savvy staff is even more
challenging.  Even if the network guys are up to speed on v6 (admittedly
a lot of the junior guys are not) the server and storage guys have a hard
time wrapping their minds completely around ipv4.

I bet your staff isn't savvy on lots of things they have to do.  I don't
know why IPv6 scares people so much.
Story:
        "So, will you be providing training on IS-IS?"
        "You'll get exactly the same training you got on OSPF when you started."
        ". . ."

Lee