nanog mailing list archives

Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 23:09:02 -0400

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 22:51:11 -0400, Rob McEwen said:
On 3/25/2014 10:25 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

Like I said in a previous response, if you are going to make rdns a
requirement, why not make SPF and DKIM mandatory as well?

many ISPs ALREADY require rDNS. So making that standard official for
IPv6 is isn't asking for much! It is a NATURAL progression.

There's still a lot of ancient mail servers out there in v4 land, that were
set up before PTRs were pseudo-required by most places, so we end up cutting
them some slack under a grandfather clause.

There's probably less than a dozen ASNs that have mailservers that speak
IPv6 that were deployed before requring PTRs became common, so they have
much less of an excuse not to do so....