nanog mailing list archives

RE: Residential CPE suggestions

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 07:08:03 +0000

Thanks to everyone who responded. The picture/spec on this page shows a
single SFP, not dual.  Hopefully they will come out with something that
supports dual SFP.

I am looking for something suitable for an active Ethernet fiber-to-X
deployment. The Ubiquiti routers don't support dual SFP until you get to the
PRO (too bad no Wifi, emailed them. :)

Self-quoting here:

CRS226-24G-2S from Mikrotik is using a new chipset, supposedly. I suspect that more vendors will be releasing configs
like this if the silicon is becoming more prevalent. The thing has SFP+ ports (10G) which is cool, especially at the
price point, but overkill.  It has 24x gigabit ports which is definitely overkill, so ideally I can find a slimmer
switch. :)

List price under $300 looks like.

This guy fits the bill (port config) more closely but also costs 3x more (faster cpu, more ram, etc).

Neat stuff, either way.

Deepak