nanog mailing list archives

Re: Default routes on BGP routers with full feeds

From: Fred <fred () web2objects com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 19:37:36 +0100

Long time I had the same opinion, however, if someone operates a network with multiple upstream providers the operator should be able to afford a proper out of band console access which solves this issue completely.

I would only accept a default route on Uplinks where I am only receiving a partial table for rescue purpose.

Blake Hudson:
I often opt to leave one or more default routes configured with low
priority (lower than BGP). The thinking is that if there is a fault with
BGP, the router will still operate and the fault can be corrected
remotely (in-band). The downside is that I might pass traffic for
non-existing destinations an additional hop and put the load of
generating an ICMP unreachable on someone else's router.

--Blake