nanog mailing list archives

RE: Outbound traffic on a circuit?

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 22:23:32 +0000

The times I have seen this type of language they are usually aimed at residential type service where they are trying to
prevent you from hosting content.  This is not necessarily unfair depending on the pricing because most residential
cost models include a lot of assumptions that the circuit will be idle most of the time.  A business class model that
punishes you over 50% is pretty aggregious if they are charging business class prices.

The key language is 50% OUTBOUND.  That implies that they don’t care how much you have inbound.  That model allows a
web surfer download all he wants up to circuit capacity but makes it painful for you to host
Content that you are serving.

Are you sure this circuit is correct for server hosting (I'm assuming that’s what you would be doing in a datacenter)?
This contract sounds more residential user to me.  If this unnamed provider is a cable provider, you need to make sure
you are looking at "business class" service if you are hosting anything significant.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL