nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transit, Exchange Point Agreements, and Acceptable Use?

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 07:12:48 -0800

On 11/21/2014 7:07 AM, Daniel Corbe wrote:

Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com> writes:

I'll apologize up front if this offends anyone's sensitivities as
to what is relevant for list conversation... but one sentence in
this Channel4 News story (from what I understand, Channel4 is a
very popular news source in the UK) struck me as perhaps in
violation of some sort of peering and/or transit agreement. Cable
and Wireless:

"...even went as far as providing traffic from a rival foreign
communications company, handing information sent by millions of
internet users worldwide over to spies."

The entire article is here:

http://www.channel4.com/news/spy-cable-revealed-how-telecoms-firm-worked-with-gchq

My question is this: Do willful actions such as these violate peering,
transit, and/or exchange agreements in any way?

Thanks,

- ferg

Welcome to the modern age of communications.  The privacy nuts and
tinfoil hat types turned out to be correct.  Assume that you have
no privacy and encrypt everything you do.  Or just stop caring
about privacy all together.  Either way, not much has actually
changed.

Well, yes, of course I understand that you should encrypt any & every
thing that you wish to protect, and believe me -- I (more than most)
understand the long tug of war between telecommunications companies
and national intelligence services.

But you did not address my question... ;-)

Cheers,

- - ferg

- --
Paul Ferguson
VP Threat Intelligence, IID
PGP Public Key ID: 0x54DC85B2
Key fingerprint: 19EC 2945 FEE8 D6C8 58A1 CE53 2896 AC75 54DC 85B2