nanog mailing list archives

Re: Marriott wifi blocking

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 08:06:56 -0700

On 10/06/2014 07:37 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Oct 4, 2014, at 11:23 PM, Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

On 10/04/2014 11:13 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
Very true. I wasn't talking about ideal solutions. I was talking about current state of FCC regulations.

Further, you seem to assume a level of control over client behavior that is rare in my experience.

Owen

I this particular case, I think that enterprise could go a very long way to driving a solution through
standards and deployment. They, after all, call the shots of who does and who doesn't get over
the corpro-drawbridge. A much different state of affairs than the typical unwashed masses dilemma.
Not sure what you mean by corpro-drawbridge in this context.

Some corporations exercise extreme control over their clients. They are the exception, not the rule.

The vast majority of corporate environments have to face the realities of BYOD and minimal control over client
configuration, software load, etc.

It means that they can exercise control of what they allow on their corporate network, byod or not. Nobody would allow a WEP-only wireless device on their network these days, so it's not hard to imagine that if a standard for authenticating AP's became available and enterprises went to the effort to upgrade their AP kit, they could
reasonably say "use a client that supports this, or you must vpn in".

That's a much better outcome than quibbling about squatter's rights, blah blah blah.

Mike