nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd [OT]

From: Jeffrey Ollie <jeff () ocjtech us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 01:55:40 -0500

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM, George Herbert
<george.herbert () gmail com> wrote:

Ok.  As a highly on- list-topic example of why distrust is called for...

Without referring to the systemd source code*, does anyone know what systemd uses to select between networking
subsystems (i.e. NetworkManager, the new standard as of RHEL 7, vs /etc/ sysconfig/network-scripts/, etc.).
NetworkManager is default but disableable and it magically falls back to network-scripts dir, but the fallback is
nearly undocumented and the selection behavior appears completely undocumented.

systemctl status NetworkManager.service
systemctl status network.service

I don't think that there's anything magic about it, you have one or
the other enabled.  Adding NM_CONTROLLED=yes/no to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* gives you per-interface control
over whether NetworkManager or the network scripts are used for
managing the interface.  If neither is enabled you probably end up
with no networking.

If by some chance you do know this, where did you come by that knowledge?  Hopefully with URLs.

I have access to systems that run systemd and I tried a couple of
things...  Also, I've been managing Red Hat systems for a long time
and have known about this for a while.  But a little bit of googling
and I found this:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/sec-NetworkManager_and_the_Network_Scripts.html

Unless you're running systemd-networkd, this is really distro-specific
stuff as I expect that most distros will want to preserve some
backward compatibility with "legacy" network configuration.

--
Jeff Ollie